In partnership with One Tree Planted, we're helping to reforest the planet, one tree at a time. Every product purchased from Valhalla Works plants one tree.
1,986 Trees Planted
Our first product line was our upcycled and salvaged wood and resin pendant necklaces. While upcycling and salvaging is awesome, it's not enough. We get most of our design inspiration and many of the materials with which we work from nature; it's only fair that we give back to the environment that has provided us with so much.
Planting trees allows our small business to have a hand in big projects around the world. Here are just a few of the many global impacts of our tree planting:
- Conserve habitat for the Jaguar in the Amazon Rainforest
- Protect watershed areas that serve local villagers in Vietnam
- Provide Ethiopians with the knowledge and tools to conserve their land
We currently ship to the US and Canada. Well, guess what? Our tree planting impacts our home in North America too:
- Planting trees along rivers and streams of the Pacific Northwest restores habitat for the endangered Orca
- Rehabilitating forests in British Columbia and California reduces beetle infestations and can lessen the impact of catastrophic wildfires in the future
- Reforesting Appalachia creates meaningful jobs across 5 states in communities that are suffering from high rates of poverty and unemployment
How does it work?
For every item that Valhalla Works sells, we donate $1 (USD) to One Tree Planted, a Vermont based 501C3 non-profit organization. We tally up the donations and submit them directly to One Tree Planted at the end of each month. They work with a network of planting partners and local tree nurseries to get trees planted that fit with the area's native ecology. The actual planting is done by planting professionals and volunteers during the local rainy season, which provides optimal conditions for tree survival.
We chose to partner with One Tree Planted because they go much further than just dropping a seed in the ground and throwing some dirt on it. The dollar that we donate for each tree covers the land prep, materials, transport, sapling itself, planting, maintenance, and reporting. That's about 3 years of on and off work for each donation.
In October, we went out to Frederick, MD with One Tree Planted & Stream-Link Education to help plant 600 trees! Planting riparian forests will improve water quality in the Monocacy River watershed, which flows into the Potomac River. This project is part of ongoing efforts to improve water quality that flows into the Chesapeake Bay.